Thursday 21 January 2016

Comparing Splurges: When is it Worth It?

I'm going to start off by saying, I know to some of you reading this, the amounts I'm talking about may not be considered a "splurge" per se, but for me, at the the time, they were HUGE purchases.

The two pieces I'm comparing are jackets, both beautiful, both high quality and both cost approximately $700.00. But ultimately, I found that one was worth the money and one definitely wasn't.

First is a brown leather jacket that I purchased from a Barney's Warehouse Outlet Store in Florida. It was so soft and supple I barely believed it was even real leather. It was absolutely beautiful, I didn't have anything else like it and who knew when I would be back at that store again (I was on vacation at the time!) So I decided to shell out the small fortune and bought the luxurious leather jacket.



The second item, which I'm sure most of you have probably heard of, was a black Canada Goose Chilliwack Bomber jacket. I had spotted it in a very expensive department store in my hometown in July. I loved it already then, but it was mid-summer and I hadn't been seriously shopping and so I left without purchasing it. But as the months went by I couldn't get this jacket out of my head; the cozy big hood,  the soft fleecy pockets. As autumn creeped up I searched high and low for weeks looking for somewhere that I could buy it on sale. After having no luck I decided to return to the original store and finally buy it where I had seen it months before.



Now can you guys guess which on ended up not being worth the money? Well if you have any idea where I live it'll be pretty obvious. I live in Canada… Still don't know? It was the leather one.

I am actually embarrassed to admit that I bought that leather jacket in June of 2010 and I have worn it…twice. Yes, TWICE! It doesn't go well with basically anything else that I own and there is only a super short season where I live where this kind of jacket is useful.

Now the Canada Goose one on the other hand, I bought that in November of 2012 and I have worn it every single day of winter for the last 4 years. So to save you guys from making the same costly mistake as I did, I've listed a couple questions to ask yourself before splurging.

1) Do I really need this? I mean really?

2) Am I buying this impulsively?

3) How much use will I get out of this?

4) Does it go with anything else I own?

5) Do I already own something similar?

6) Would I be able to find it at a lower price somewhere else?

7) How long will it be in season/style?

I know its easy to get caught up in an awesome sales pitch, or to buy something for a special occasion, even knowing you'll probably only wear it that one time. But to me, the only time a splurge is worth the investment is if the amount of use you'll get out of it can justify the hefty price tag. But we all need to treat ourselves to nice things every once in a while right? ;)

What's something that you guys have splurged on? Did you regret it later or did it end up being a great investment? Let me know in the comments!

I hope this is helpful!

xox oxo

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment